This Sunday Oprah sits down with the strong women of color behind ABC’s hit series Scandal.
Lead actress Kerry Washington, the show’s creator Shonda Rhimes, and real-life crisis management specialist Judy Smith chat with Lady O for Oprah’s Next Chapter.
If you haven’t had an opportunity to see the critically acclaimed show, you are missing a lot.
The significance and timeliness of the 60-minute drama is palpable. This is the first time since 1974 that an African-American actress has played the lead role on a primetime dramatic series.
Here are 10 great reasons that make this Shondaland creation the hottest ticket in television.
1. It stars talented actress Kerry Washington.
2. The chemistry between Washington and Tony Goldwyn as President Fitzgerald Grant is explosive!
3. The storylines are creative, smart, and entertaining…not to mention the writers aren’t afraid of the “wow” factor.
4. The characters are well-developed and they all have their “little secrets”.
5. It takes place in Washington DC; the mecca of drama, mystery, and intrigue.
6. The show is produced by TV super-producer Shonda Rhimes.
7. It showcases the only black female in a lead role on network TV.
8. Each episode is better than the last!
9. It’s great to see a powerful African-American woman playing against typical Hollywood stereotypes for women of color.
10. The series is based on former Bush administration press aide Judy Smith, who also serves as a co-executive producer.
Oprah’s Next Chapter airs this Sunday at 9:00 P.M.
-Jennifer Hall, CBS Local