(CBS Radio) — Throughout the country, there are some rather interesting and perhaps “slightly” dated laws that are still in existence today, though how easily or frequently these laws are enforced would also be a great subject.
However, for the purpose of this discussion, let’s dive into some whacky local laws that are still in existence in North Carolina.
Top 10 Most Bizarre North Carolina Laws
10. Here in North Carolina, if you sing off key you might want to make sure you only sing while in the shower. Singing off key is illegal.
9. Darn it! Who knew that in North Carolina, you cannot use an elephant to plow a cotton field?!
8. In the city of Asheville, if you have to sneeze you better not do it on a city street! Sneezing on city streets is illegal.
7. If you own cats and dogs and you allow them to fight, you could be issued a citation if you live in the city of Barber. Allowing cats and dogs to fight is illegal.
(Related Article: Top 10 Foods Born In The South)
6. If you buy a white robe and hood, you may be asked if you are joining the Ku Klux Klan (KKK.) If so, you will have to pay three dollars in additional taxes per robe/hood in the state of North Carolina.
5. In North Carolina, if you’re caught with illegal drugs, in addition to receiving a “save the date” for your court appearance, you will also have to pay TAXES on your illegal drugs.
4. I haven’t seen this law enforced before — but apparently, it’s still a law in Charlotte. A woman’s attire must cover at least 16 yards of her body. It’s a good thing Charlotte-Mecklenburg police do not walk around with tape measures!
3. Here in North Carolina, the only position you are legally allowed to have sex in is missionary position.
2. It is a Class 2 misdemeanor in North Carolina for an unmarried man and woman to occupy a hotel room for “immoral purposes.”
1. In North Carolina, it is legal to marry your first cousin. But don’t think about keeping it “All in the Family,” as double cousin marriage is against the law.
-QC Writer, CBS Radio