(CBS Radio) — Have you ever started dating “Mr. Right” only to have him leave you in the dust without an explanation?
Perhaps, your dream man wasn’t ready for a serious relationship, or quite plausibly, you did something to scare him off.
Far too many women rely on their girlfriends for relationship advice … but what do women really know about men? When it comes to dating, not nearly enough.
Here are the top 10 things women do that drive men away:
10. Acting one way to get a guy, then changing. Men like women who are genuine. When a woman acts all sweet and innocent during the first few dates, but then suddenly becomes less genuine and perhaps even insincere — a man is likely to take the first exit in sight to get as far away from that relationship as possible.
9. Trading in the sexy clothes for sweats. Men like women who take care of themselves and who try to look their best most of the time. If a woman wears sexy attire the first few dates, but then all of the sudden starts wearing sweats and dressing down, a man is likely to be confused and more than likely, considerably turned off.
8. Talking about other men. If you would like to keep your man, don’t talk about other men often … I repeat, do not talk about other men. Sure, it’s okay to mention your male coworker occasionally, but trust me, no guy wants to hear about how awesome your guy friends are. Men see other guys as a threat, and if a man constantly hears about the “other men in your life,” it makes him feel threatened. If your guy is special to you, let him know how much he means to you, and ditch the other guy talk, before your guy ditches you.
7. The need for more. It seems like most women want it all these days: the perfect man, perfect car and perfect house. But guess what women, no guy wants a gold digger in their life, so unless you plan on contributing to obtaining the perfect everything, you better be content with just finding a good guy.
(Related Article: Top 10 Things Guys Do That Drive Women Away)
6. Being bossy. Men prefer women who are caring and understanding. When in a relationship, most men don’t want to feel like they are dating their mother. They want to feel like they are an equal part of the relationship, without being nagged or bossed around.
5. Lack of communication. Nothing will drive a man crazy faster than the silent treatment or a woman who refuses to communicate when she is visibly upset or bothered by something. Furthermore, far too many women send mixed signals when they display body language that shows that they are visibly upset, but they don’t vocalize their feelings. In truth, women are better communicators than men. In reality, men prefer that women say what they mean and mean what they say. Prolonged fighting due to lack of communication is likely to eventually send your guy packing. Don’t let it get to that point. On the other hand, no guy wants to talk about every little aspect of the relationship on a daily basis. Pick your battles wisely, but if something is truly bothering you, talk to your guy about it.
4. Being a Drama Queen. Perhaps your girlfriends love drama, but guys and drama don’t usually mix. Truth be told, guys prefer girls who steer away from drama, and for good reason. The average drama queen has the constant need to create drama — and whines and complains about the most insignificant things. Being around a drama queen gets old, quickly. Enough said.
3. Over-analyzing everything. For the most part, most men are pretty mellow. They prefer a woman who they can be mutually mellow with, not a woman who analyzes everything that their man says or does. Most guys won’t stick with a woman who questions everything — good or bad.
2. Being super independent. Don’t get me wrong, men do like a strong, assertive woman who can take care of herself. But, try not to push it to far, as men don’t like it when they don’t feel needed in your life. Every man needs to know that his girl needs him sometimes — whether it be as a protector, or for emotional support, etc.
1. Stage-Five Clinger. Dear Women, Nothing is more annoying to your guy than constant texts, facebook messages, and phone calls. If you really like your guy and you want him to continue to like you, give him some space to be. If the reason you try to contact him so often is because you don’t trust what he’s doing when he’s not with you, then you probably don’t need that kind of guy in your life. But, if you can give your guy some breathing room without having a nervous breakdown, it will give him time to miss you. And if he misses you, he’ll contact you … and if he doesn’t, it just wasn’t meant to be.
- QC Writer, CBS Radio