Single Mom Monday: 5 Tips For Managing Your Holiday Budget
The holidays are right around the corner, and you as a single mom may be solely responsible for making sure your children have a great Christmas. And what about friends and family, by the time you’re done getting gifts for everyone, you’ve set your budget back a couple months right! Well here are 5 tips to help you make the holidays happy without breaking the bank!
1. Make a list or know what’s on your kids’ Christmas list before you go into a store and stick to it! Having a list will help you avoid making impulse purchases, no matter how good a deal is. Even if it’s a great deal, if it’s not on your list, it’s going to throw your budget off!
2. Know exactly what your limit is. Sit down and plan out your holiday budget before you shop this year.
3. Try thrift shopping. By putting in a little time, you’d be surprised by the great find you can luck up on at Value Village, Goodwill, Plato’s Closet, Salvation Army or other second-hand stores. I have found new, brand name items for awesome prices!
4. Create your own gifts. Instead of buying things, try creating some presents. You can buy beads from Michaels and create jewelry. Or create customized photo albums. Google craft ideas and get to creating to save yourself some $$$!
5. Try something different! Instead of presents, tell your kids that this year for the Holidays you will be spending more time together. Use some of the money you would spend on gifts to do fun things, like going to the movies, Carowinds, go-cart racing or other fun things you can do together. Then get them one small gift to open on Christmas day.